Monday, August 27, 2018

Vacation Memories

In 1994 my kids and I took my parents on a 10-day anniversary trip. It was their 40th. Our first stop was at Spring Hill near Kansas City where Dad visited with some of his friends from the Ankole-Watusi Association. (See my blog from May 14 about these cattle.) Mom didn't want to make this detour, but Dad pointed out it was half his anniversary, and he should get to see something he liked. These people had Watusi's in their backyard. They took us to their farm to see their prize winning steer. He had the largest horns ever measured at the time.




The huge steer was a pet and didn't mind if someone wanted to scratch his forehead. I forget the exact span of his horns, but one horn was a lot longer than my arm. Dad kept urging us to give him some love, but every time a fly bit him on the rump, he swung his head around and picked it off with the tip of his horn. I didn't want to get flattened, so we passed up the opportunity to pet a World Champ.
I should point out that I don't know for sure this is the famous steer, but doesn't he have a set?


Back on the road, the first interesting landmark we encountered was the Mississippi River. The closer we got to St. Louis the more we talked about it. None of us had seen it before, and we were excited. Suddenly, we saw a sign that said: "Welcome to Illinois." Who stole the Mighty Miss? I wasn't aware the I-70 bridge had high concrete sides which prevented motorists from gawking at the river. How disappointing.

We left the city far behind and sped past fields of maturing soybeans and corn. In back, my daughter was on her knees on the floor with an activity book in the seat. (Think years before mandatory child restraint and seat belt laws.) My mother saw a pond in a pasture. She said, "Look!  It's the Mississippi." My daughter, at not quite 11, fell for it. By the time she had wriggled back into her seat, it was behind us. She cried because she had missed it again. I'm ashamed to admit we all laughed at her.

Rule 36:  Sometimes, when you least expect it, Grandma will prank you.




We had a wonderful time visiting with my brother and his family. They took us to see the sights. Saw the Great Smoky Mountains, walked on the Appalachian Trail, which I might say was nothing like I had expected, hiked in the Cumberland Falls area,






                                                              and explored the historic buildings at Cades Cove.







We decided to look at new scenery on the way home and took a route through Arkansas where I don't remember much except flat land and irrigated fields of rice. This time we saw the Mississippi River.

No comments:

Post a Comment