Monday, July 2, 2018

You Said WHAT to Grandma?

CAUTION: This content is not G-rated.

My brother graduated from college in 1979 with a chemical engineering degree. Then began the job hunt. Without naming any corporations, he interviewed with a firm that manufactured paper products. Our grandmother was anxious to hear about the company and whether he had a chance to land a job. When she learned the primary product was baby diapers, she wasn't as enthusiastic. She couldn't imagine that a large plant would limit themselves to one line and insisted on knowing what else they made.

My brother was as vague as possible and admitted that they did make other stuff. 


What other stuff? Grandma demanded specifics.

Later, my brother said he didn't want to tell her, but she made him.

In the 1970's, if a man didn't want to talk about unmentionable feminine hygiene, he could just say Kotex, and everyone got a pretty good idea what he meant without going into greater detail. There were other brands, but you get the picture.


"They make Kotex, Grandma."
 
Grandma's lips snapped shut, and she dropped the subject. Forever. By the way, he didn't take that job.

Today, kids aren't so reticent about what they say around their grandparents. For instance, last year my son and daughter and their respective spouses played Cards Against Humanity with my mother. If you aren't familiar with that game, I beg you not to look it up.

According to their own press:
Cards Against Humanity is a party game for horrible people. Unlike most of the party games you've played before, Cards Against Humanity is as despicable and awkward as you and your friends.
The game is simple. Each round, one player asks a question from a black card, and everyone else answers with their funniest white card.

Wikipedia says:
Cards Against Humanity is a party game in which players complete fill-in-the-blank statements using words or phrases typically deemed as offensive, risqué or politically incorrect printed on playing cards.

Anyway, these four thirty-somethings convinced my 80-year-old mother to play. Ah-hem. My brother and I played as well.  

Grandma was a good sport. I was offended by how well she embraced the perverted nature of the game. It was just wrong.

I don't know who won. I don't know if we kept score. I think the game is over when someone laughs so hard, they puke.

No comments:

Post a Comment